History

template header image 1600x800

History: Hotel de l'Europe 1400

It is a rare phenomenon in Amsterdam that one and the same kind of business should have continued to exist at the very same site for such a long period of time. In Hotel de l'Europe, this evolution has taken place in a very unique manner indeed...
template header image 1600x800

1482: City Walls 1482

Up to the fifteenth century, Amsterdam had never had any need for walls for defence purposes. The city was situated in the middle of marshlands and swamps. The only thing that separated it from the countryside was a deep canal surrounding the entire city. In 1482, when the danger of war was imminent, within one year the citizens of that town completed the construction of a whole wall with towers at its farthest corners.
template header image 1600x800

1535: The Rondeel Tower 1535

One of these towers was called "Rondeel", built in 1535, built right on the spot where hotel de l'Europe is now standing.
food

1593: New Embankment 1593

When Amsterdam was enlarged in 1593, with the addition of this strip of land between the two canals known as "Singel" and Herengracht", a new embankment was needed. This meant the end of the defence function which the "Rondeel" had fulfilled up till then.
home5

1600's: The Tower Stands Jan 1600

For several decades to come, the tower remained as it was.
room1

1600's: A stone from the original Rondeel Tower Jan 1600

In 1638 an inn was built on the site of the old "Rondeel", partially constructed on the same foundation. Owned by a Mr. Jordan, it was a simple inn to start with, but business apparently went very well because in 1652 it was expanded on the side facing the Amstel River and a beautiful elevation was put up in Renaissance style.
template header image 1600x800

1772: The Amsterdam Arms 1772

It was not until 1772 that the Inn was in the news again. According to an item in the Amsterdam Gazette of February 21, 1772, the innkeeper Reynier Welters had become the new landlord of "Het Wapen van Amsterdam" or "The Amsterdam Arms".

1882: New Facade 1882

Time went on, and on May 1, 1882 the papers published the news that G.J. Wolters had sold the premises to P. Kamps and A.J.D. van den Berg. Since these new owners apparently expected a great influx of clientele coming for the World Fair in Amsterdam in 1883, they had a new exterior structure built facing the Amstel River, and an additional floor was added.
food

1895: Hotel de l'Europe Jan 1895

On April 27, 1895 the construction started on the new hotel and was re-opened on September 23, 1896 as Hotel de l'Europe. The architect, W. Hamer, who also designed Hotel Suisse (which has since burned down) in Kalver Street and the pavilion in Vondel Park, succeeded in incorporating certain elements of the old style of the side facades into the new building, giving it a romantic exterior.
room1

1895: A Modern Hotel Jan 1895

The hotel which was separated completely from the caf, had 50 rooms. It had a lovely dining room and a smaller one for intimate dinners. With its elevator, central heating, gas and electricity, the hotel provided all the comforts of a real first-class hotel at the time, especially since it also had a bath and a toilet on every floor. This was quite a luxury since the guests in the old "Rondeel" before 1895 had to visit the bathhouse opposite the hotel on the Rokin street!

1806: Kingdom of Holland founded 1906

1914-18: World War I 1914

1939-45: World War II 1939

home5

1940: Hitchcock Arrives 1940

Just before the 2nd World War the hotel was used by Alfred Hitchcock as a location for his movie "Foreign Correspondent". By suggesting a defect in the name of the hotel on the roof, one could only read "Hot Europe". The director was referring to the explosive political situation in Europe at the time. During World War II the hotel was occupied by German officers; after the war a major overhaul took place.

1981: Refurbishment 1981

In 1981 the first steps were taken towards a large-scale restructuring. The aim was that all the improvements would be completely in keeping with the hotel's classical style and exclusive atmosphere. All 76 hotel rooms and three suites were refurbished and colour television with remote control, telephone with direct outside line , minibar, radio and air-conditioning were all installed. The new marble bathrooms had hairdryers and a second telephone.
17 Rondeel Building  Superior Room (2)

1996: Anniversary 1996

In 1996 the hotel celebrated its centenary anniversary. Also in that year the hotel appeared for the first time on the Institutional Investors list, yearly composed by senior financial executives, who decide which are the best 100 hotels in the world. Hotel de l'Europe was number 90. In 1997 the hotel had risen to the 76th place. It also appeared on the list of the magazine Traveller & Leisure, as the only hotel in Holland in the top 25 hotels with 100 rooms or less.

2010: Restoration 2010

Following a complete renovation of the Theordoor Gillissen Bank just next door, De L'Europe opened the new Dutch Masters Wing, an all-suite annex of 23 uniquely appointed, spacious loft-like quarters each with a different yet exacting replica from the nearby Rijksmuseum National Gallery. The Dutch Masters Wing features separate entrances for discretion, elegant new private dining rooms for events, and a heated indoor swimming pool and fitness center with panoramic views of the Amstel River.

2011: Re-opening of a Legend 2011

In 2011, De L'Europe earned a spot on the Conde Nast Travelers coveted Readers's Choice list; it is Amsterdam's only hotel to make the magazine's 2011 Gold list. De L'Europe re-opened its doors after a 65 million euro renovation. The main building with 109 rooms and suites was reduced to just 88 rooms and suites by expanding the size of the rooms. With the addition of 23 modern design suites in the Dutch Masters Wing, a grand total of 111 rooms and suites exists between both sides.

2012: Awards and Accolades 2012

After the re-opening, the hotel received various awards and accolades. Hoofdstad Brasserie received the Bib Gourmand award for two years in a row, the fine dining restaurant, Bord'Eau, received its first Michelin Star just one year after the opening of the restaurant. The famous Freddy's bar, named after Alfred "Freddy" Heineken, received the Best Cocktail Bar of the Netherlands award while the Bord'Eau wine list received a Silver Goblet by the Wine Spectator.

2013: Future Projects 2013

A spa is scheduled to open in 2013, finalizing the complete renovation of this amazing project. Located on the Amstel River in Amsterdam's historic city center, and convenient to several of the world's most heralded museums and the city's points of interest. Follow De L'Europe and catch up on the latest news via the hotel's Facebook page, Google+ or on Twitter. From the "Rondeel" to De L'Europe as it is today, long may De L'Europe flourish. By keeping itself up to the highest standards, De L'Europe will always remain one of the best and very special hotels in the world.