Meet Madame De L’Europe, our special guest throughout our anniversary year. Discover the hotel through her eyes and read about how she experiences the true and beautiful during her stay with us.
Start of building the first defence walls in Amsterdam. One of the wall towers was called ‘Rondeel’– right on the spot where De L’Europe is now standing.
An Inn was built on the site of the old Rondeel tower.
Very much needed renovations took place –including a new façade facing the Amstel river.
1838 - 1845
The Rondeel was auctioned and Mr. Wolters became the new owner. Renovations were done. The focus became not only gentleman’s travelling, but also families. He was a forerunner with this, since from 1880 all hotels would have this focus.
The newspapers published the news that H.J. Wolters had sold the premises to R. Kamps and A.J.D. van den Berg. Since the new owners apparently expected a great influx of clientele coming for the World Fair in Amsterdam in 1883, they renovated the façade facing the Amstel River and added an additional floor.
The construction of a new hotel started and on September 23rd Hotel De L’Europe opened her doors. The new hotel had 50 bedrooms, a lovely dining room and event spaces. It was a real first class hotel with its central heating, gas, electricity and an elevator.
Two new improvements were made: a covered entrance and a lobby in Nieuwe Doelenstraat. By that time, the number of rooms had increased to 70.
All 76 hotel rooms and three suites were refurnished and given color television with remote control, telephone with direct outside line, minibar, radio and air-conditioning were all installed. The new marble bathrooms had hairdryers and a second telephone. Both restaurants (Le Relais and Excelsior), Le Bar, the three banqueting rooms and the lounge were refurbished. In addition to this, a new terrace was built around the hotel. This work was completed in1984.
Hotel De L’Europe purchased the two adjoining buildings, numbers 6 and 8. In the new extension 35 rooms, a fitness centre, and new banqueting rooms were added.
The hotel consisted of 100 rooms, two restaurants, a bar, a terrace along the Amstel, banqueting rooms, a fitness centre and a business centre.
The kitchen and the restaurant Le Relais were renovated. The same year the bar changed its name from Le Bar to Freddy’s, referring to the owner of the hotel, Alfred “Freddy” Heineken.
Hotel De L’Europe opened an exclusive all-suite wing, known as the Dutch Masters Wing. Replicas of Dutch Masters that hang in the nearby Rijksmuseum adorned the walls of all suites in this wing.
De L’Europe enhanced the design of the hotel, ‘T HUYS was opened and the hotel is ready for anew era of Original Amsterdam Luxury.
Celebration of 125 years De L’ Europe.
More coming soon...Follow us